A run Down on Common Eye problems
Some common problems that comprehensive ophthalmologists treat.
- Cataracts cause persistently blurry vision. The only treatment is cataract surgery. Synthetic lens technology has improved so much that some people are able to become glasses-independent after cataract surgery.
- Glaucoma is the disease that silently blinds. It is slow and can be relentless, typically chipping away at your peripheral vision. Unfortunately, it is also not reversible. Treatment only slows down the progression of the disease and can be with eye drops, laser, or surgery.
- Dry eye has reached epidemic proportions with the advent of technology and the hours of screen time.
- Red eye has many causes, some harmless and some serious.
- Trauma to the eye can include a scratch to the surface of the eye that will heal, or be more serious and require surgery.
- Corneal problems can vary from contact-lens related infections to keratoconus.
- Eyelid problems include droopy eyelids and in- or out-turned lids that cause discomfort.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology has even more information on eye health.